Sunday, November 9, 2014

Coconut Milk for kinky coily hair

opened can of coconut milk

After a little bit more than  3 weeks, i gave some tlc to my natural hair that has been left alone and without proper care. But i know how to make it happy now :)

Step 0 : No prepoo
My hair ,at this point, is already super coated by product, and debrit and etc..., it makes no sense to me to do a prepoo treatment since the hair won't benefit from the nourishment from the oil. Plus the shampoo will have enough stuff to strip.

Step 1 : Shampoo
On damp hair, i did a first shampoo focused on the scalp using my herbal essences hello hydration shampoo that content sles/sls. Then i followed with a second shampoo on all the hair to clean it well and giving some moisture back too, using a milder moisturizing shampoo.

Step 2 : Deep conditioning
On shampooed and Blotted hair (with t-shirt), i applied the mask from tip to scalp and i let it sit under my hair therapy wrap bonnet for 45min.



Step 3 : Condition
After i rinsed out the mask with luke warm water, i used my conditioner with bamboo extract designed for curly hair and i let sit for 5 minutes before rinsing.

Step 4 : Tone the scalp (not necessary )
I  sprayed my black tea solution on the scal and the hair, to reduce the my current excessive shedding situation and i let it sit under a cap while i had a bath. I then apply some almond oil to seal before the last rinse and i blotted with a t-shirt.

Step 5 : Moisturize and Twist
I actually did that step 5 dys later because i wanted to know for how long my hair would have stayed moisturized just by using the mask.
To moisturized my hair, lately i've been using the LOC method. As a leave in i use my version of the kimmaytube leave in conditioner formula , grapeseed oil and my shea butter mix as a cream and i twist afterwards.

Sidenotes :

I only finger detangle throughout the whole process, especially when i apply the mask and the conditioner
 Since it's been quite sometime (for my standards) that i didn't take care of my hair, i work in 12 sections to make sure the products were applied evenly on every strand.

My thougths...
Prior the wash process

After the coconut milk mask


I was a little sceptical when it came to this treatment despite all the goods i've heard about it. After a good 5 days period, there is what i noticed.

- My hair was soft but yet strong, shiny and moisturized till the tips
- Defined coils after the treatment
- Less frizz, especially around the perimeter which is maybe my most untamable area
- Detangling was quite easier after the mask
- Even though my hair is protein sensitive, my hair didn't feel dull or brittle after
- The mask is easy to make, but my recipe was quite runny so it could've been quite messy

I know that the way my hair feels, it's because of the coconut milk since i've already use the combination of the order ingredients and didn't have the same result. I'll do this again, for sure...

Mask recipe : 

4-5 tbsp Coconut milk ,                     1tbsp castor oil,
2-3 tbsp aloe vera ,                         1 tbsp avocado oil
2tbsp honey,                                         1tbsp olive oil ,  
6 drops lavender and 6 drops rosemary essential oils.

Mix all ingredients together with the preferred order, apply thoroughly to the hair and let sit as pleased.

Sidenotes :
Make sure your aloe vera gel/juice is at room temperature.
                  The honey makes the end result runny, the more honey, the runnier is the consistency,                         play with honey accordingly.
                 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...