Friday, August 1, 2014

Kinky hair and sweat

from internet

If you've been around on this blog before then you know i enjoy working out a lot. So i sweat very much during the week and my hair is also in contact with sweat. During the exams period i couldn't train enough and i noticed some changes :  they seem moisturized for longer during the week and i experience less frizz . I'm back on my normal (semi-normal actually ) schedule and i think that i found one reasons why my hair is dry through the week. When i exercise, later that day, my hair feels drier and rougher than usual especially the part closer to my scalp and my ends ( i think that's because i keep them tucked in a bun ), so i think that part of the dryness of my hair comes from sweat.

I did some research on sweat and here are one of the best post that i got :http://www.curlynikki.com/2013/05/is-sweat-bad-for-your-scalp-and-hair.html 
And here is a list of post on sweat and natural hair

Basically is not bad neither for hair or for scalp since it has minerals and moisturizing ingredients, but it also has some salts that can be drying for the hair.

How do i deal with it...
  • Even if i exercise several times per week, i only wash my hair once : my hair doesn't stink through the week and i sweat a lot ( i'm not quite sure of how much i sweat on the scalp ). I use a non sulfate free (but sls/sles free) once a week to get rid of all the salts and mineral build up. I apply it on the scalp only ( i'll clarify the hair shaft once a month or depending on the products that i used to style ).
  • At the end of the work, i remove the excess of sweat with a coton t-shirt (actually the one that i worked out with ) and i spray my scalp with my refreshing/moisturizing spray.
  • Now i make sure that i moisturize my ends as often as needed and i seal with my shea butter mix, every single work out day. I use the same spray to refresh my hair when i want to . 
  • Since i can have additional time lately, i'll be adding a cowash session throughout the week and make less twists and african threading than usual .

Ingredients in my refreshing spray :
- demineralized water
- water infused with camomile + tea + rosmary + flaxseed +sometimes: citrus fruits peel, basil
- aloe vera juice / gel
- vegetable glycerin / honey
-  essential oils
- baking soda / acv for balancing ph if needed


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...